Wal-Mart in Japan
The focus of this case study is the hurdles faced by retailing giant Wal-Mart in the Japanese market. In the early 90′s, Wal-Mart’s decision to globalize is a major focus area.
Issues covered in the case study include: Download Case Study (in PDF format)
- Wal-Mart’s entry strategy in Japan
- WalMart’s best practices in retailing like Every Day Low Prices (EDLP) and Rollback to the Japanese market through its joint venture with Seiyu.
- Wal-Mart’s problems faced in Japan because of the differences between the operational and cultural environment in its home market and the Japanese market.
- Walmarts future prospects and business strategies in Japanese Market.
Other management issues covered include:
- The Japanese retailing industry: It’s nature and structure and its market size, market scope, and market characteristics.
- How to frame an entry strategy for a global and culturally diverse market.
Business Case study terms:
Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Green Field Operations, Costco Wholesale, Metro, Tesco, Japanese Retail Industry, Ito Yokado , Large Store Law, Every Day Low Prices, Carrefour, Daeiei, America Online Inc., Sam’s Clubs
Related Case Study Reading:
- Can Wal-Mart Woo Japan?, Business Week Online
- Japan Isn’t Buying The Wal-Mart Idea, Business Week Online
- How Wal-Mart Is Reshaping Packaging?
- A New Era in Japan’s Retailing Market
- Tesco Enters The Japanese Market
- Japanese Retail Market Overview
- Japan Market Research
- Japan Retail Sector Overview: companies Walmart
Will Wal-Mart be able to sustain its supply chain advantage : Download Case Study on Wal-Mart’s Supply Chain Practices in PDF format.